After much difficulty, I finally finished printing the solar barge I have been working on for at least half the semester.
First, though, after my initial printing method proved inadequate (the printing bed is too small..) I had to modify my strategy. Here, you can see that I have sliced the model in half parallel to its width instead of along its length, as I had done previously, and provided holes in both halves for pegs that will hold them together.
Beyond that, though, I needed to print the front and rear finials separately, because the printer does not handle small vertical elements well (and that is a severe understatement, though settings can be adjusted to some extent).
With some superglue (and far more sanding than I would like to think about) it finally came together fairly well.
The last major assignment for my digital sculpture class involved using a program that converts photographs of objects into a three-dimensional computer model which can then be manipulated and ultimately printed.
For instance, this is a model of the telephone in the digital photo lab, generated from about 20-30 photographs taken with my DSLR camera.
The object that I eventually decided to capture was the bottom portion of one of the trees on campus.
After taking images with my cellphone from all sides and at several different angles, I uploaded the photos to Autodesk 123D Catch (which is free, by the way...) where they were converted into a model.
I then downloaded the file onto my computer and started modifying and cleaning up the model using Meshmixer.
This included the addition of a base as well as a model of a centrally-planned building I made in Blender.
In the end, this is how it looks printed in PLA plastic.
It took a while, but I finally got through all my final prints this week....
Here is the figure project in the middle of the printing process. You can clearly see the "honeycomb" structure that forms the interior (as well as the filaments running through where there are apparently imperfections in the model... oh well!).
This photo shows the figure as it came off the 3D printer, including the printing raft and scaffolding. (This also shows the smaller version I printed initially. The black pieces are the solar barge prior to assembly.)
...And the two images below are of the model in its completed state.
Next, we began working on learning a new rendering program, Blender, by creating a figurative design. I chose to loosely emulate a Han Dynasty figurine of a Qilin (or Chinese unicorn).
Construction begins with a cube, manipulated by subdivision and extrusion.
The images below are of the final, 3-D printed objects for the component project. The plate sections were designed and executed by Christen Johnson. Visit her blog at http://chjohnsonblog.wordpress.com/
For our latest project, my class has been working in groups to design and produce component-based systems. My partner and I developed a collection of plates and linear connectors that employ ball-and-socket joints. I took the task of creating the joints and the connecting components. The images below are of the first (failed) iteration.
Significant problems quickly became apparent when I attempted to print components.
In one area of her work, Austrian artist Lia attempts to create 3-D printed sculptures that reflect the inherent qualities of the medium.