After much difficulty, I finally finished printing the solar barge I have been working on for at least half the semester.
First, though, after my initial printing method proved inadequate (the printing bed is too small..) I had to modify my strategy. Here, you can see that I have sliced the model in half parallel to its width instead of along its length, as I had done previously, and provided holes in both halves for pegs that will hold them together.
Beyond that, though, I needed to print the front and rear finials separately, because the printer does not handle small vertical elements well (and that is a severe understatement, though settings can be adjusted to some extent).
With some superglue (and far more sanding than I would like to think about) it finally came together fairly well.
The last major assignment for my digital sculpture class involved using a program that converts photographs of objects into a three-dimensional computer model which can then be manipulated and ultimately printed.
For instance, this is a model of the telephone in the digital photo lab, generated from about 20-30 photographs taken with my DSLR camera.
The object that I eventually decided to capture was the bottom portion of one of the trees on campus.
After taking images with my cellphone from all sides and at several different angles, I uploaded the photos to Autodesk 123D Catch (which is free, by the way...) where they were converted into a model.
I then downloaded the file onto my computer and started modifying and cleaning up the model using Meshmixer.
This included the addition of a base as well as a model of a centrally-planned building I made in Blender.
In the end, this is how it looks printed in PLA plastic.